3 Questions to Ask Before Designing a Website
What is your overall goal and vision for the website?
- Will it be strictly informational based to educate consumers
- Are you selling products and require e-commerce support
- Are you trying to generate ad clickthrough revenue
- Do you want a "call to action" that generates interest via signups or an email campaign
Who is your target audience?
What groups or individuals are you trying to reach- this may be broad with multiple targets or it may be more limited. Identifying them will assist with your overall feel, design, and content.
- Consider your audience age
- Are you focusing on males, females, or both
- A specific ethnicity or social group
What is your preferred design aesthetic?
- Do you want a modern and minimalist feel or more traditional
- Bright and bold colors or more subdued
- Multiple pages or a long scrolling single page
- Find examples of other sites you like and provide those to your designer
- Take into account your target audience and design accordingly
Taking these questions into account will ensure your website has a clear purpose and starts out on the right track. Sharing them with your designer will help tremendously!